For those who’re new to electrical automobiles—or are beginning to analysis choices for an upcoming buy—it’s possible you’ll not know that along with the high-voltage battery pack that provides energy to the motor, additionally they use the identical 12-volt batteries that gas-powered automobiles do. And, sure, these 12-volt batteries can lose their cost and stop the automobile from beginning.
However the excellent news is, they may also be leap began—together with with the assistance of a gas-powered automobile. In an article for Kelley Blue Book, Chris Hardesty breaks down the entire course of. Right here’s what to know.
Security considerations when jump-starting a battery in an electrical automobile
Earlier than stepping into the right way to do the jump-start, we wished to level out just a few of the security considerations Hardesty brings up within the article:
- Whereas it’s attainable to leap the 12-volt battery in an electrical automobile, by no means try to jump-start their high-voltage lithium-ion batteries.
- Don’t use an electrical automobile (EV) to jump-start one other 12-volt battery. “The EV’s charging factors are for jump-starting the automobile itself and never for helping one other automobile with a jump-start,” Hardesty writes.
- The automobile giving the electrical automobile a jump-start will need to have a 12-volt battery with a adverse floor system—which, Hardesty says, is typical with gas-powered vehicles.
- The directions beneath present a basic overview of the right way to jump-start electrical automobile batteries, however make sure to verify the proprietor’s guide first, in case that individual make/mannequin wants any particular therapy.
- You may also use a transportable jump-start machine on an electrical automobile’s 12-volt battery.
The right way to jump-start a 12-volt battery in an electrical automobile
In his article, Hardesty provides the following instructions for jump-starting a discharged 12-volt battery in an electrical automobile:
- Place the vehicles. Place the 2 automobiles, the EV and the automobile with a great battery, close to one another so they don’t contact.
- Activate the brake. Shift into park and placed on the parking brake.
- Swap off every part. Verify and be sure you flip off the lights and equipment in each automobiles.
- Join constructive clamps. Now you’re prepared to attach one finish of the pink constructive (+) cable to the discharged battery’s constructive (+) terminal. When performed, connect the opposite finish of the constructive (+) jumper cable to the constructive (+) terminal of the booster automobile battery.
- Connect adverse clamps. Subsequent, place one finish of the black adverse (–) cable to the great battery’s adverse (–) terminal. Now, join the adverse (-) jumper cable to the adverse (-) grounding level for the discharged battery.
- Verify. Make sure that the booster cables are away from any transferring components and that the clamps have good metal-to-metal contact with the battery terminals and charging factors.
- Begin the automobile of the donation automobile. Take the automobile with the great battery and begin the automobile.
- Get the EV began. Lastly, attempt to begin the EV with the lifeless battery.
Learn Hardesty’s full article for added suggestions, together with the right way to take away the jumper cables.