We in all probability have top-of-the-line rising seasons we’ve ever had. The moisture is lots and the warmth is ideal, so issues are actually shifting. This subject of beans I’m in is nearly to my belt.
I’ve not seen any illness within the corn but. I’ve been seeing some frogeye within the soybeans. I simply obtained carried out spraying all my soybeans final week with foliar feeding and fungicide so I hope we now have taken care of that and different ailments. Frogeye has been round for a number of years. We noticed it earlier this yr, I believe, due to the dampness within the floor.
My corn fields are absolutely tasseled. Silks are out and pollination is starting and will probably be taking place the following 10 days or 2 weeks. So long as it isn’t raining each day, we’ll get by way of it nicely. The silks are very lengthy and may have a protracted pollination interval. We should always have some actually good wanting ears come fall.
Early weed management is admittedly good. We sprayed post- on every thing a month or so in the past. The cover is full and darkish inexperienced and searching actually good.
There may be nonetheless some wheat out within the space. Yields have been actually good round right here with no illness. Plenty of farmers double-cropped round right here as a result of we now have the moisture.
We have now about 75 acres of rye to reap but, perhaps this weekend. We’re saving some seed for our use and we’ll promote the remaining. The storms have put a few of it down and we’ll be working a whole lot of straw by way of the machine. We’ll be crawling a little bit slower to get by way of the rye.
The climate had been good. We obtained 1.5 inches of rain yesterday and we had about one other 1.5 to 2 inches on the 9thand 10th, so we’ve had about 3.5 inches within the final 4 or 5 days. Crops look actually good as a result of we have been getting dry earlier than that. In sure river backside floor we began to see some corn curling up. It was nothing excessive however we knew we might use a superb drink of water and we now have been very blessed with that.
Issues appears actually good from a row crop perspective. Third reducing hay must be made this week, however it isn’t wanting like a superb week to make hay. We like to chop haylage each 28 to 30 days if we are able to. If we are able to’t get it made this week, the fifth reducing begins to get after Sept. 15 and I don’t wish to mow something that late. We’ll must see the way it goes and hope we are able to squeeze issues in.
We began planting round April 23 and completed June 1, so we now have a broad spectrum of corn progress. We have now tassels simply beginning to come out and a few which might be nonetheless a few weeks away but. There may be some concern with the upper temperatures. If we now have the rain with the nice and cozy climate will probably be OK, however 2 or 3 dry days to make dry hay can be good as nicely. My spouse informed our minister that farmers are at all times fickle. They get the rain they want they usually ask to hope for dry climate to get the hay made. It’s type of backwards and forwards, however that’s the way it goes.
We have now not seen illness points but, however we’re speaking about flying on some fungicides in a few of our higher river backside floor to guard that yield.
We caught a little bit of this rain, perhaps not as a lot as they have been forecasting. We nonetheless have an opportunity of rain for the following week or 10 days. We ended up on the lighter facet of the rain totals with a half inch to an inch on most of our farms. We didn’t desire a gully-washer like we now have been getting, however I hoped for an inch or two to soak in earlier than these hotter temperatures we could get.
We began tasseling 2 or 3 days in the past. I’ve a few fields near full tassel. The primary third of the corn we planted is in tassel proper now.
The cooler climate and rain have actually helped. We would like rain, however we nonetheless want sunshine too for pollination. The scouts are beginning to see some grey leaf spot and even some northern corn leaf blight beginning in a few varieties we’ll must examine to see what’s going on. We tried some in-furrow full season fungicide this yr and we’ll must see how that holds up. We did put some V5 and V6 on too. This might be a yr that, in case you are leaning in the direction of it in any respect, you’re going to must get planes lined up. With it coming on this early, we might have some issues.
We had three planting home windows and it might be laborious to get the planes flying on the rights occasions.
The soybeans, with the moist climate we’ve had, they haven’t grown a complete lot. We did end post- spraying final week with some foliar with it. They’re lastly beginning to take off a glance a little bit higher.
We’re sitting clear on our beans. We had some large ragweed coming in and we obtained that knocked down. It appears like guys have carried out a extremely good job with weed management round right here this yr.
We’re doing nicely right here. The rainfall has been welcome. It was getting fairly dry right here in these elements, however we obtained near 2 inches of rain right here on the dwelling farm within the final 2 weeks and issues have actually taken off.
Per week and a half in the past they have been calling for rain each day, but it surely by no means really rained. We pulled the set off and reduce the wheat a little bit wetter than we needed to however we hated to sacrifice yield and take a look at weight to the climate. We obtained that off and obtained near an inch of rain on the straw. We obtained stuff dried up in regards to the Fourth of July and hammered out about 2,500 sq. bales. Sadly the rain obtained there too quick to get double-crops planted.
The wheat made 108-bushel common, which is near a document right here on the farm. The ultimate stand rely was round 2.1 million seeds per acre on that wheat. That’s the finest we now have had since we now have had yield monitoring on the mix within the final 10 years or so. We used loads of 28% and fungicide. My guess is the take a look at weight was someplace between 59 and 61 kilos.
Plenty of the sooner corn we planted is simply getting a tassel out good on it. We aren’t seeing many ears with white silks poking out but. So long as we are able to maintain the temperatures down for pollination I believe we’re in fairly fine condition. Inside the subsequent couple days I’m going to be scouting fairly laborious to see if we now have any leaf ailments coming in. If we do, we’ll have to determine the right way to get them sprayed. Trying on the forecast, I’m actually crossing my fingers. With among the fungicides, the rain fastperiod is round 6+ hours and we now have the pop-up thunderstorms rolling by way of each 2 or 3 hours. I’m actually hoping our defensive hybrids prevail.
I see there are some beans flowering and rising. They’re about knee-high and they’re wanting fairly good. The rain has certain helped.
The weed management has been distinctive this yr. We completed spraying post- on corn on Saturday. We have been working drops and rubbing the entrance axle of our 4730 sprayer. The bean weed management is Enlist. I believe we lastly discovered a herbicide that may flip over pink root pigweed and maintain it again. For some motive we now have it tremendous thick right here on the dwelling farm. Liberty would smoke it and in 3 weeks it will be again.