The Chicago Transit Authority’s (CTA) new 7000-series railcars will make their debut on CTA’s Blue Line, its second most closely traveled rail line within the system that operates between Forest Park and O’Hare Worldwide Airport.
The brand new railcars characteristic a number of buyer facilities and new applied sciences. They have been delivered on schedule and have been assembled in Chicago at a brand new facility on the Far South Facet, which has generated a whole bunch of jobs for Chicagoans and created alternatives for suppliers and associated companies. The meeting facility, which opened in 2017, marked the primary time in additional than 50 years that railcars have been produced in Chicago.
“As CTA President, one in every of my major priorities has been to modernize our system to profit our prospects, in addition to the communities we serve,” stated CTA President Dorval R. Carter, Jr. “These new railcars are the newest step we’re taking to construct a twenty first century transit expertise, whereas additionally boosting the native economic system by the creation of fine paying, native jobs.”
Distinguishing the 7000-series from the remainder of the CTA rail fleet are its daring, blue finish caps; new structure of headlights and taillights; as nicely as a redesigned inside that includes a brand new seating configuration that consists of a mixture of forward-facing and aisle-facing seats. This hybrid seating configuration, which maximizes out there house and buyer consolation, was developed primarily based on enter from buyer surveys searching for the most effective options from current CTA railcar layouts.
Inside, the 7000-series characteristic LED lighting, plentiful seize bars and straps, and improved suspension for a smoother experience, together with a bunch of latest and improved buyer facilities, together with:
- Redesigned, all-glass windbreak panels flanking the passenger aspect doorways.
- Double-sided shows situated within the heart of the automobiles displaying a shifting rail system map that reveals the road, subsequent station and the upcoming stations.
- Passenger data shows at each ends of the railcar offering subsequent cease data and accompanying textual content for pre-recorded audio bulletins.
- Pre-recorded bulletins now have an “specific mode” characteristic for hearing-impaired prospects. This characteristic will present a visible indication of the place the prepare will likely be operating specific to, within the occasion of a must skip stops or run specific.
- Distinct door chimes for the opening and shutting doorways to assist vision-impaired riders.
- Improved energetic automobile suspension system that makes use of new sensors to regulate the peak of the railcar flooring to that of the platform.
Behind the scenes, this new era of railcars additionally comes outfitted with new applied sciences that can assist enhance the security and safety of day-to-day operations, together with new touchscreen controls with improved operator notifications for safer operation and troubleshooting help.
The 7000-series, manufactured by CRRC Sifang America, are the primary new CTA railcars in a decade, following the introduction of the 5000-series automobiles in 2011.
The CTA has been testing the 10 prototype railcars since final fall, working them out-of-service on every of the eight rail strains. The rigorous testing permits the CTA to judge their efficiency in a variety of climate and working situations. The automobiles will proceed in-service testing by early 2022. As soon as testing is satisfactorily accomplished, manufacturing and supply will start on the remaining stability of 390 automobiles.