STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Driving by way of the snow is nothing new for Staten Islanders, although we certain have been doing it much more regularly this yr.
With restricted mass transit choices and low walkability all through a lot of borough, Staten Islanders are extra reliant on their vehicles than every other New York Metropolis residents.
This yr, with Staten Island seeing a lot greater snowfall totals than lately, safely navigating snowy roadways has develop into extra essential than ever.
Like all issues, driving within the snow will get simpler with expertise. The extra you do it, the extra seemingly you’re to really feel comfy.
But it surely’s not all in regards to the driver. Having a automobile that’s well-equipped to deal with glossy, slushy and icy roadways is essential for protected, snowy-weather driving.
“If a automobile boasts the suitable mixture of…components, even an inexperienced driver can get by when driving in snow. On the identical time, the proper mixture of options could make an skilled Snowbelt driver even safer and extra competent,” mentioned Russ Heaps of Kelley Blue Guide.
The web automative analysis firm has outlined quite a lot of options that potential automobile house owners ought to take into account and compiled an inventory of the best-equipped vehicles and SUVs for dealing with snowy, winter climate.
FEATURES TO CONSIDER
In the beginning, automobile consumers ought to take into account getting a automobile with both four-wheel drive (4WD) or all-wheel drive (AWD), which supply improved traction management on slippery roads.
“Selecting between AWD and 4WD depends upon your wants,” Heaps mentioned. “Nevertheless, all-wheel drive is probably going the very best reply for most individuals. It robotically adjusts to altering highway circumstances, it’s designed to work in regular, snowy and icy circumstances, and it has the least damaging impact on gas financial system.”
Drivers also needs to search for vehicles that provide anti-lock brakes and stability management, which robotically apply the brakes to the mandatory wheels each time a automobile begins to slip on slippery terrain.
Ahead collision warning and emergency braking, which work hand-in-hand with anti-lock brakes, must be thought-about to keep away from by accident sliding into stopped autos in entrance of the motive force.
And blindspot monitoring might help drivers keep within the applicable lane and keep away from mistaken actions that may be much more harmful in snowy circumstances.
“One of many surest methods to lose management on a slippery highway is to make a sudden steering adjustment to keep away from a automobile within the subsequent lane. One other option to create havoc on a slippery highway is stomping on the brakes, which that neighboring automobile will certainly do in case you try and share its lane,” mentioned Heaps.
Drivers also needs to take into account buying a automobile with excessive floor clearance, like an SUV or pick-up truck, which makes them much less more likely to plow the snow and extra more likely to determine potential upcoming hazards.
Whereas the aforementioned options all deal with bolstering security, there are additionally a bunch of others to contemplate that may make driving within the snow extra comfy and handy.
Drivers ought to take into account autos with a distant begin perform, in addition to these providing heated seats, mirrors and steering wheels.
“Beginning your automobile remotely gained’t assist in your efforts for even the very best vehicles to drive in snowy or icy circumstances. However getting the engine working, the heater working and the windshield defroster going earlier than getting into your automobile makes for a extra comfy snow driving expertise,” Heaps mentioned.
With all of those options in thoughts, Kelley Blue Guide has compiled a list of the best cars and SUVs for driving in snowy weather, assigning every of them a rating, on a scale of 1 to 5, indicating their capability to deal with hazardous roadways.
BEST CARS FOR DRIVING IN THE SNOW
- 2021 Toyota Camry AWD – Beginning Value with AWD: $27,365 / Ranking: 4.6
- 2021 BMW 3 Collection xDrive – Beginning Value with AWD: $44,245 / Ranking: 4.6 (2020)
- 2021 Toyota Avalon AWD – Beginning Value with AWD: $36,970 / Ranking: 4.4
- 2021 Nissan Altima AWD – Beginning Value with AWD: $27,995 / Ranking: 4.1
- 2021 Volvo S90 – Beginning Value with AWD: $53,290 / Ranking: 4.0 (2020)
- 2021 Dodge Charger SXT AWD – Beginning Value with AWD: $34,890 / Ranking: 3.6
BEST SUVS FOR DRIVING IN THE SNOW
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid – Beginning Value with AWD: $29,825 / Ranking: 4.8
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA Class 4Matic – Beginning Value with AWD: $39,280 / Ranking 4.8
- 2021 Kia Telluride AWD – Beginning Value with AWD: $33,415 / Ranking: 4.8
- 2021 Honda CR-V AWD – Beginning Value with AWD: $26,525 / Ranking 4.7
- 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD – Beginning Value with 4WD: $53,295 / Ranking: 4.7
- 2021 Subaru Outback – Beginning Value with AWD: $27,845 / Ranking: 4.6
- 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD – Beginning Value with AWD: $41,225 / Ranking: 4.5
- 2021 Chrysler Pacifica AWD – Beginning Value with AWD: $39,535 / Ranking: 4.5
- 2021 Subaru Forester – Beginning Value with AWD: $25,845 / Ranking: 4.4
- 2021 Hyundai Kona AWD – Beginning Value with AWD: $23,085 / Ranking: 4.2
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD – Beginning Value with AWD: $37,715 / Ranking: 4.1